Monday, June 10, 2013

Yeastie Beastie - The best pet ever.

Collecting Yeast


The other day my friend requested a trade; he would mow my lawn if I made him some bread starters with non-commercial yeast. I had never even entertained the thought that could be possible, so I did some online research. Yes, you can collect yeast a variety of ways. Here is my experiment:

I mixed in a large applesauce jar:

2 Tblsp. Honey
A handful of raisins
A few grains of store bough yeast, just to get it headed in the right direction

Then I filled the jar approx. 80% full of water, closed the lid and put it in a sunny window for a couple days. Once there were bubbles and the raisins were all floating, I opened it up and it had a nice fermented smell. I took some out to begin the starter and stored the rest in the fridge. I now need to figure out how to restore it.


 
 Day 1
 
 
 Day 1
 
 
 Day 2
(" 'cause I know how you like raisins")
 
 
Day 3
All Done!
 
I started the starter and will post about that in a different blog, but it is looking and smelling good so far! I just used the yeasty water in place of the water called for in the recipe and omitted the store bought yeast. 

1 comment: